Monday, November 4, 2013

Nothing like being home...

So, the title might sound really ridiculous since I live in the same town as my parents. I am sitting on my mother's sofa and plan on doing so for the rest of the day. My parents took a group of young people who are currently at The Inn to Washington, DC for the week, so Scotty and I are staying at my parent's to be with my 98 yr old grandfather. I think I have only stayed overnight at my parent's once since I have been married. Why would we stay at our parent's when we have our own place? But do you ever just long to do so? I remember when I used to live away and every time I stepped into the front door when I came home to visit, I would just let out a sigh and say, "home." Awwhhh home... there is nothing like it. I visit my parents a lot, so it's not like I am missing out much, but there is just something special about being able to stay. Bless my sweet husband, he is being a sport to do so with me. I have the day off today, so I actually woke up at 6:30am (don't ask me why) put a pot of homemade spaghetti sauce on the stove and I'm letting it simmer all day. I made pecan balls for Thanksgiving and plan to bake some more. Why? Because there is nothing like baking at "home." My mother's cabinets are filled with every ingredient known to man-kind. If you opened my cabinets at my own home, you would find the bare minimum. But not at my mom's house!
I hope one day Scotty and I will be able to give our children the security of "home" like our parents have given us. It's the same feeling walking into Scotty's  parents home. You are never too old to miss the familiar smells, to long just to stay at least one night in the house where you grew up, and just have a place where you can run and just be.  Today I am so grateful for the home Scotty and I are creating together and for our parent's homes. Although they are just a couple of miles in distance, we are blessed to still have a haven where we can just be.

No comments:

Post a Comment